That’s a screnshot of my wife’s iPhone finally running skype.
We just tried it for a few minutes and:
- Looks and feels like skype. It evens has all the sounds you’ll hear on the desktop client
- There’s no lag when it comes to Instant Messaging
- Sound Quality is Great
- It’s a great option to make calls when you are traveling outside of your own country. Now you can take your iPhone with you and not pay for international roaming to effing AT&T (or your carrier) and use any internet enabled WiFI network to make your calls. It will rock even more if you have SkypeOut. Update: According to GigaOM the application works only over WiFI, which is great for me. When you’re out you use the regular phone. If you travel abroad, just piggyback on some WiFI network you find.
- We could call from her iPhone to my Skype client running on MacOSX, but I couldn’t call her back
- The iPhone’s lack of background application running kills the purpose of skype. You’d have to have the application open all the time for it to be useful. As soon as the app closes your session dies, so there’s no way to get notified if someone called or messaged you
- The contact list (if you have hundreds of contacts) was very laggy to load
So far this is just a glimpse of what phones will be able to do in the future when wireless internet will be as common as electricity. When I first heard about WiMax the first thing that came to mind was “No more cellphone bills!”. The day we have broadband internet access everywhere for free (think the wireless spectrum that will be left for grabs once the TV stations go all digital) all we’ll need is an iPod (since it supposedly runs on the iPod too) or internet mobile phone and Skype or similar VoIP software.
Review: Skype for iPhone. Verdict: Awesome.
Skype calls over 3G working on 3.0 Beta
Skype Now Officially Available for the iphone
Forgive my ignorance, but isn’t most of the TV spectrum (at least here in the US) already spoken for? All those big auctions the cell phone companies and Google were fighting over?
Bueno lamentablemente no tengo el equipo para probar dicho programa, pero particularmente me parece bastante bueno pese a las cosas que tiene en contra
lo probe y funciona perfecto para mi, lastima que no funcione en segundo plano por ahora, saludos