Download the APK or get it at Google Play
A new FrostWire for Android is here, this is a major update that you should not skip, specially if you’ve had issues in the past.
The biggest changes are:
Integration with Archive.org
Archive.org indexes free files from all over the internet, there’s a huge amount of Public Domain files and Creative Commons files, so keep an eye for those archive.org results if you’re looking to remix legally free available content, FrostWire will be a great tool to find it.
Archive.org also indexes torrents of these files, if you download and seed you will help make its contents more decentralized and durable, not to mention you will save archive.org some bandwidth.
The Archive holds over 7.3 million files, it’s a powerful content library that now is easily accesible from anywhere using FrostWire, we hope you find it very useful, for example, law students and attorneys can now use FrostWire to search for public transcript of court cases, among other documents. Almost every known public domain film, book, and audio recording is available and best of all we’ve integrated it with FrostWire after revamping our search architecture which now delivers results as soon as possible to your android device.
Search results coming from archive.org include basic information about the file’s license if available, make sure to check the licenses and to respect your local copyright laws, FrostWire condemns copyright infringement.
Faster Search, Reduction of CPU/Battery consumption
We’ve made search considerably faster, now results are shown as soon as they come in, in the past our algorithm would wait for a certain amount of results to come in and show them to you, the search experience should feel snappier now. Also we optimized and fixed our code and some third party libraries that weren’t meant to be used on Android so now the app consumes up to 84% less CPU which will result in your battery lasting a lot longer if you’re running FrostWire.
We’ve made a few improvements in the bittorrent core, namely the hashing algorithms are about 15% faster than before which also reduces battery consumption while downloading and checking torrent chunks.
More stable and compatible
Since our last release in november we received thousands of crash logs from users worldwide and we went through all of them fixing bug by bug, in the process we did a few updates on the user interface you will notice a nicer looking navigation menu, and more intuitive icons to share/unshare files on the Wi-Fi network.
Many fixes related to the audio player, specially an annoying double-playback bug lots of you reported, thank you.
For those of you following the codebase and who know geek-speak
FrostWire 1.0.6 - APR/08/2013
- Faster search results. Search architecture revised and improved.
- Includes search results from archive.org, which indexes millions
of public domain and creative commons works from all over the
- Reduces CPU and battery consumption up to 84%.
- FrostWire won't disable screen locking during audio playback.
It's now up to the user to set longer auto-locking timeouts if
they want to use FrostWire as an audio player in their vehicles.
- UI fix, media player screen is correctly updated if a song starts
while the screen was locked.
- Updated icons and graphics.
- Improved mime type detection.
- Supports WebM video search results.
- Updated UPnP cling libraries for better Wi-Fi sharing discovery.
- Multiple crashes and freezes fixed.
- Opens .torrent files from urls and from any file browser.
- Faster hashing and checking of ongoing and finished torrent downloads.
- Fixes a crash when sharing files from third party apps like FileKicker
which pass filepath uris instead of android provider uris.
- Fixes double audio playback issue with third party media playing apps.
- Fixes bug where the app would force close and restart on phones without SD cards.
- Fixes bug on Android 4.x where finished document downloads wouldn't appear under
- Avoids crash caused by AdMobSDK and WebView's cache being null.
- Fixes bug where sharing files from a third party app would open FrostWire
in a way that hitting the back button would take the user to the desktop and
not back into the third party app.
- Replaced navigation menu for a better one that presents itself with a smooth
brief zoom-in animation.
- Navigation menu and transfer screen looks properly on Motorola Razor
- More efficient use of Bitmaps should cut down on the number of Out of Memory errors on most devices.